Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Fish-Free Pad Thai

Where has this recipe been all my life?!
I have always loved pad thai but usually feel guilty about eating it, as one of the main ingredients in most pad thai dishes is fish sauce. So when out for thai food, I usually just advert my thoughts and pretend I don't know there's fish sauce in pad thai.
That and eating the occasional poutine is the only "bad vegetarian" things I do. (Shhh! Don't tell Peta!)
But this recipe is fish sauce free and delicious! I'd like to keep experimenting with it to get it perfect, but for now this does the trick!

pad thai

Pad Thai sauce
2-3 tbsp tamarind paste
1/4 cup hot water
3 tbsp soy sauce
1-2 tsp chili sauce
2-3 tbsp brown sugar
1-2 tsp crushed garlic + ginger
1-2 tsp lime juice

Whisk all ingredients together.
Fry up soaked rice noodles in a heated pan with a tablespoon of oil. Once all the noodles are heated add the sauce. Top with whatever fixins' strike your fancy: steamed vegetables, bean sprouts, chopped peanuts, fried tofu, egg, etc.

No comments: